It’s almost here – Father’s Day 2018! In my family, holidays and birthday are part of the glue that keeps the family seeing each other on a regular basis. My parents, brothers and sisters even get together to celebrate the adults’ birthdays.
We get a taste of summer on Mother’s Day with the new light green foliage on the trees, and then by Father’s Day the canopy is in its full glory and it seems like winter’s never been here.
Commercial and recreational activity also picks up this time of year. People munch and sip coffee outside at cafes; parks and municipal pools teem with children.
Now that summer’s almost here, why not plan to get out and DO something for Father’s Day? Here are some thoughts for visiting some local hot spots with Dad.
The BEER scene
- Willoughby Brewing Company – Reliable eats in huge comfy booths.
- Great Lakes Brewing Company – A pioneer of Cleveland craft beer
- Brewnuts – Yummy donuts made with beer!
Sports and the Outdoors
- Edgewater Park – Have you seen the new beach house? Concessions and seasonal bar with “the best view in town.”
- Headlands Beach – Walk the dunes, a “living assemblage of fascinating and highly specialized plants and animals.”
- “Play Catch With Dad: Father’s Day at League Park” – Practice on the historic League Park field at the Baseball Heritage Museum in Cleveland.
Attractions and Entertainment
- “Solo: A Star Wars Story” – For dads who are geeks. Cinemark in Valley View has comfy reclining seats – great place to catch a show.
- The Greater Cleveland Aquarium – If you haven’t seen the shark sea tube, what are you waiting for? Free that day for Dad.
- Cleveland Metroparks Zoo – Also free for dads on Father’s Day.
- “Father’s Day at the Blacksmith Shop” – A three hour “basics of blacksmithing” class in which he’ll learn the basics of working with hot iron.
- Father’s Day Brunch Cruise on the Nautica Queen – OMG!
- Again, for the geeks – The Side Quest bar has a game library set up like an old school video store.
- Yours Truly – My dad always makes sure to get a humongous shake. I recommend their stick-to-your-ribs calorific “notso fries.”
- Father’s Day BBQ at The Cleveland Metroparks’ “Merwin’s Wharf” is waterfront dining on the Cuyahoga with seasonal and locally-sourced menu items.